The Buyer’s Guide
When buying a toolbox, a true specialist will consider all the pros and cons before deciding on a certain model. The assortment of this product is so wide that you can easily get confused as to which type of product is better to choose in this or that case. What factors should be taken into account before a purchase?
Main questions to answer
Before you start browsing thousands of offers in online stores, take a minute to respond to the following questions:
- How many and what tools do you most often need for work?
- Will you be fine with a standard container for small items (screws, bolts, and nuts) or is it better to buy a separate organizer box for them?
- Do you often move instruments over long distances or just need stationary storage?
When you know what to focus on, learn about further criteria.
There are three main categories of toolboxes depending on the materials used for their production: plastic, metal, and wooden boxes.
- Plastic boxes are considered the most convenient and durable. They are easy to carry due to their low weight. You will find a wide range of shapes and colors at very attractive prices. But they also have a drawback, a plastic toolbox has relatively low impact resistance. If you opt for a plastic container, choose the one with a metal clasp and hinges.
- Metal boxes. Usually, this is the most durable storage alternative. But metal constructions are very heavy, so they are good to be used as stationary cabinets. If you are definite to purchase a metal toolbox, it is recommended to select models that are equipped with rolling wheels. It will allow you to move it around your workshop with no effort.
- Wooden models can be also used as tool organizers. They are usually equipped with a comfortable handle. As a rule, these are open boxes and have no lid or locks. Some people even manage to make wooden containers on their own. If you pick up a box made of good quality wood, the tools will not deteriorate from moisture. Also, wooden boxes prevent the build-up of static electricity.
The most optimal options are considered to be made of metal-plastic. They are lightweight, but strong enough.
Nowadays you will find organizers of all possible shapes. The most popular are:
- Case – a small container with a lid that can be moved apart in different directions. It is equipped with a large number of holders and holes (suitable for home use);
- Manual container – a rectangular box with a hinged lid and numerous storage compartments. It can be even equipped with wheels (suitable for professionals);
- cabinets – a bigger furniture piece designed for stationary storage in the garage or workshop;
- boxes with a modular system – a compact organizer that allows you to store a variety of tools and small parts.
Additional features to consider
There are also things that may seem minor at the first glance, but these nuances can be of utmost importance during toolbox use. Be sure to pay attention to the following details when choosing a box:
- Bottom thickness. Tools can be very heavy causing a big load on the box bottom. A very thin bottom will quickly deform or break under the excessive weight;
- Reliable walls. The walls of the box should not change their shape under full load;
- High-quality hinges and locks. The poor clasp or fastenings will spoil even the best container;
- The presence of small compartments for storing small parts (nails, screws, nuts).
- Reliable construction. If you opt for a model with removable trays or organizers, you need to check the quality of their fixation and ease of removal;
- Big capacity toolboxes should be equipped with wheels. This feature will make it possible to move the box with ease.
It is important to understand that the method of tool storage significantly affects the result of their performance and, of course, the service life of devices. To prevent unexpected breakage of your favorite tools, the ideal solution is to buy a toolbox. If you haven’t got it yet, we recommend you to purchase one as soon as possible. We hope that this article will help you decide on the right choice. Though the selection of a toolbox is an individual process, and you should take into account your preferences first.
We have compared Craftsman tool boxes and selected the most exciting offers. Choose the most suitable Craftsman tool box and keep your tools in the right way!